Being wrong when you are right

If it wasn't because Monday was the first day back after a week's holiday (a few pictures might follow) I would say that I needed a break – at least judged by my somewhat strange behaviour (no reason to comment that there is nothing unusual about me behaving strangely, I've done it myself now!) during the day. We had a Strategy Day for the whole division, the final of a series of such days trying to discern the way forward. I have been responsible for facilitating the process and so we turned up Monday morning outside one of the corps with the car full of flip charts, projectors, pens, paper and of course the absolute essentials: Post-it Notes – loads of Post-it Notes.

I parked the car outside the main door and after unloading ran out (yes, I was running late) to move the car to the car park behind the hall. A quick U-turn, full speed up to the next corner, getting ready to make 3 left turns after each other, which hopefully would bring me to the back of the hall. I did not bother to put on my seat belt or switch on the lights, as I just was going round the corner (actually 3 corners, but you get the drift of it, right?). As I was going up the road a car came towards me and the driver flashed his headlights towards me. I didn't get it, what was he trying to tell me? Surely he couldn't see I was not wearing a seat belt, and even if he could, why should he care? I looked around, but could not see anything that was wrong or any pending dangers, but he kept flashing his lights, clearly trying to draw my attention to something. As we passed the driver of the other car looked with amazement at me, slightly shaking his head. I was still confused, what was his problem? Suddenly dawned upon me: I was driving in the right side of the road! Which, in England, of course is the wrong side of the road, right? Fortunately there were no other cars around, and I quickly switched over to the right side of the road, that is the left side of course.

The day went reasonably well, but at the end of it I was tired. For once it was not raining (doesn't mean the sun was shining, but you learn to be grateful for small things when it comes to the weather here in the UK), so I sat in the garden and relaxed a bit. I really wanted to go for a bike ride or something, but just could not get my act together. Fortunately we were running low on milk, so we went for a walk and picked up some milk on the way. As we walked up to our front door I got my keys out and could not understand our front door wouldn't open, until I realised I was standing in front of it, pressing the car key, expecting the front door to automatically unlock! It was at that time I decided it was time to go to bed, probably I should never have got out of it that morning!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  Wednesday, 11 June, 2008  

This entry is really scary - I mean, really scary.
Are you falling apart?
You need to come back here!

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP