New Experience
Last night I found myself in a totally new and somewhat strange environment. Our Divisional Commander had asked me to represent the Army on the Faith Community Leaders Community. This is a group, headed by the Anglican Bishop of Manchester, where Christian (Protestant and Catholic), Jewish, Muslim, Hindu leaders meet. I was not to keen on going at all. I am through and through evangelical. While I honestly (I hope) respect people of other faiths, I am also convinced that unless they confess Jesus as Lord, they are lost and so it was with some sense of unease I went to the meeting, convinced it would be a waste of time and I would have to sit and bite my tongue all the time.
We had not got pass the coffee in the lobby before my attitude began to change. The Christian and Jewish leaders had already arrived and were all busy chatting to each other, when one of the Muslims came and straight away was greeted by handshakes of all in a friendly atmosphere, just like if an old friend had entered the room. I could not help to think of the Middle East and many other situations.
It turned out that the committee is not about mixing faiths, or anything like that, but a forum where Faith Leaders meet in respect of each other to discuss areas of common interest, to further respect and dialog between the faith communities, and also, when appropriate, to speak with one voice in matters of religious freedom, moral issues etc.
Towards the end of the meeting one of the Jewish leaders were telling about an incident with a local council and he used the phrase “I have to confess I did something quite un-christian...”, which triggered a response from another Jew: “You are allowed to be un-christian!” said with a smile.
Usually I don't like meetings which are more “talk” than action, but I might have to change several of my opinions after last night's experience.
1 comments:
Hi Henrik, I've just finished my daily Andersen 'fix' by enjoying your blogs. I know I should sit and write a long letter but, until I do, Just remember how very much I love all of you. All is well here.
Wilma
Post a Comment